Sunday, February 19, 2012

Feb 6; Anyeonghekesayo Korea, Ni Hao China!

Day 1 in China

The ride: 
It was a sort 2 hour flight compared to the first 14 hour one – thank goodness.
The lunch sucked. It was pork and there were no alternatives (what kind of service is this??). Lucky for me my wonderful friends, Catherine and Kristie, gave me their tofu and I gave them my meat.
tofuuuuu! <3
my amazing travel buddies.
Catherine's Korean Playlist.... Korea has definitely changed our personal preference ;)
First impressions: El Camino (the road)
As we were on the van going towards the place we would be calling home for the next 5 months, I couldn’t help but notice how familiar the scene looked. No, it didn’t look like Spadina. It looked like we were cruising down the DVP….

Our new dorm:
Here’s a little look at the new space. I wish you could experience the room with your senses…touch the dirt, smell the funkyness, feel the cool air… It’s going to be quite the experience. (myungjae I miss you)
the windows. which are barred. and has a view of something that looks like north korea.
The bars will come in handy when drying clothes though!
the beds and bean bag pillow
Our empty desks





First meal:
The Chinese teachers treated us all to a warm welcome dinner at a restaurant close by the residence.
There was a mix of new things, like corn juice, and familiar things like shrimp and VEGETABLES (I’ve missed my veggies). It did remind me a bit of my dad’s home cooking…
Culture:
Today was also the lantern festival day. Unfortunately, we live too far from the bustling civilization of the actual city to see the lanterns. We did however see and hear fireworks...Oh yees, he definitely heard fireworks... all through the night…

Sleep: 
3 shirts, 2 pants, 1 hat later... I was all bundled up for my first night in China.

"I swim for brighter days despite the absence of sun"

1 comment:

  1. I very much like the windows, they look really authentic.

    ReplyDelete